MosaicBlues: The Tour de France Mosaic - an hommage to the greatest bicycle race. .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Tour de France Mosaic - an hommage to the greatest bicycle race.

 
I started last week a piece about the Tour de France.

Even if you are not French or a bicycle aficionado, you probably have heard of the grueling bicycle race  organized in France every summer. It has been going on almost non-stop for over a century.

My friend John Henderson, owner of the Dothan Cycle and Fitness store commissioned this piece based on a poster related to the 1913 Tour de France.


This poster promotes the quality of the bicycles Louvet on which a Champion won several laps of the race.
Original JB Louvet Tour de France 1913 Poster


Because of the Art Nouveau style, I decided to use glass for this piece. The Map and Letterings will be  Opus Tessellatum, but I will use Opus Pixellatum to create a different background changed from plain Navy Blue to a gradient Dark Blue to Deep Purple. So I am using 2 models to build this mosaic.


2 models - Left Opus Pixellatum Background - Right Opus Tesselatum Foreground - for Tour de France mosaic.
The 2 models for the Tour de France mosaic.


Because I am using the reverse method, the model on the right is a mirror image of the original poster.

I laid the first tiles on October 6 , 2017, beginning with contour of France in bright Yellow.


The first tiles are laid on the outline of the country. It is better to lay the tiles limiting areas to start with.
First tiles laid ! October 6

On October 8, I had progressed well on the Red Road (La Route du Tour !), and ran out of yellow tiles... 



8 mm tiles are being used, often cut in 4 pieces each of them are 4 mm square.
The Tour de France mosaic, October 8

For now, waiting for the tiles I ordered from Mosaic Art Supply, I will be working on the man and his bike.

Stay tuned, I will keep you posted on my progress on this remarkable piece of bicycle Art !



I am a modern mosaic artist with a deep admiration for ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine Arts.
You can see my own mosaics on my site at mosaicblues.  

If you are interested by my work or would like to drop me a line please contact me by email at frederic.lecut@mosaicblues.com or by phone at (334) 798 1639. 


You can also 




No comments:

Post a Comment