MosaicBlues: Packing a Mosaic for shipment .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Packing a Mosaic for shipment


Mosaics are heavy and must ship in sturdy boxes. I build mine from wood, and encase the mosaic inside with insulation foam. 




I shipped last week "Mary's Cheeks" a glass only piece measuring 18 x 30", 1.5 thick, and weighing 25 lb. 




This is how I built its crate :

I used :

Materials :
  • Luan plywood,
  • 1 x 3 whitewood boards
  • 1/2" insulation foam
  • wood glue
  • 3/4" wood screws - or 1 1/2" nails

Tools :
  • Miter Saw - or hand saw.
  • Cordless drill with screwdriver bit - or simple screwdriver
  • Measuring tape.
  • Box cutter.
  • Hammer


The first thing to do is determine the size of the crate.

As I used 1/2" insulation material, I added 1" on each dimension to find the inside dimensions of the crate.

The mosaic being   : 30 x 18 x 1.5"
It came up to          : 31 x 19 x 2.5"

To figure out the outside dimensions of the crate, you have to add the thickness of the boards you are using.

I used 1 x 3 boards for the sides. Now, as (only in America)  a 1 x 3 board measures 3/4 x 2.5", I added twice the thickness of my boards (2 x 3/4" = 1.5") to get the outside dimensions of my box.

Which were now        : 32.5 x 20.5 "

This was also the size of the Luan panels for the bottom and cover of the box.

So I cut :
  • 2 boards 31" long
  • 2 boards 20.5" long
  • 2 luan panels of 32.5 x 20.5"

I built the frame from the boards, and used one of the luan panel as its bottom.

The box and its cover.

I secured the bottom to the frame with wood glue and 3/4" screws.


Detail of the assembly of the bottom to the frame.

Laid one sheet of insulation at the bottom of the box, 



The came mosaic on top of it and I protected its sides with strips of insulation material.


I covered it with a last sheet of insulation foam.



And finally screwed the cover onto the frame with 3/4" screws. 




Et voila...

The whole package weighted 35 lb, meaning the crate itself was 10 lb. It shipped by UPS to New York State and arrived in perfect shape to its recipient, who had no problem opening it. 







I am a modern mosaic artist with a deep admiration for ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine Arts. You can see some of my own mosaics on my site mosaicblues.


 




If you are interested by my work in general  or if you would simply like to drop me a line, please 

contact me by email at frederic.lecut@gmail.com   

or by phone at (334) 798 1639.  You can also




No comments:

Post a Comment