MosaicBlues: Spring Mosaic Workshop, Adult class .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Monday, May 25, 2015

Spring Mosaic Workshop, Adult class



Last march I gave a Kids mosaic class at the Wiregrass Museum of Art.

The kids had realized small (6 x 6") mosaics following the pattern of the Solomon knot.

Last May 9, I gave a similar class for a group of adults.


 They realized a same type of Solomon knot, only bigger (10 x 10").




The purpose of these 2 classes was more technical than creative. I wanted to show people how they could make their own mosaic. 



I also wanted to show how you can create a direct method mosaic on a mesh, which you would later be able to glue on a rigid - flat or curved - support.

Practically, the mosaics were realized by gluing on a fiberglass mesh small precut square glass tesserae. The fiberglass mesh was laid on top of a printed model, and the small glass tesserae glued on the mesh, following the pattern underneath it.

At the end of the class, the mosaics were left to rest for 48 hours, the time for the glue to set. 



On May 12, I separated the mosaics from their models. 


This piece is flexible and can be gently rolled. 

I clipped the mesh around them,


And lined them up together. 


See how beautiful this turns out to be ! These mesh mosaics could now be glued on any support. 

Can you imagine us getting hundreds of them ?  We could cover a whole wall, a column, a whole house, a statue...

And this, my little friends, we shall further discuss in the course of this year...



I am a modern mosaic artist with a deep admiration for ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine Arts. You can see my own mosaics on my site at mosaicblues




If you are interested by my work or would like to drop me a line please contact me by email at frederic.lecut@gmail.com or by phone at (334) 798 1639. 




You can also 
 
(and I recommend it !)



.

No comments:

Post a Comment