MosaicBlues: Monumental Mosaic Projects .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Monumental Mosaic Projects

Mosaics were used in the antiquity to decorate private and public monuments. 

Neptune & Amphitrite, Herculanum, Italy

We know a lot about the daily life in the Roman empire through mosaic representations of it.

Bread oven, St Romain en Gal, France

Our modern XXth century also saw a number of outstanding, monumental realizations. The Park Guell in Barcelona, Spain has inspired several parks such as the Garden of Tarot in Tuscany and the Mosaic Courtyard in St Petersburg, Russia. In France, self taught artist Raymond Isidore litterally covered his family's home with mosaic.

These realizations are not just single pieces of Art, they are monuments. Most of them were realized by one single individual.

Park Guell: Barcelona Spain - Gaudi

Park Guell - Columns room


Il Giordani dei Tarocchi - Tuscany - Italy - Nikki de Saint Phalle

Il Giardino - Fountain.


Mosaic Courtyard - Saint Petersburg, Russia. Community project.
 
St Petersburg Mosaic Courtyard


Maison Pique assiette - Chartres - France . Raymond Isidore.

Mason Piquassiette - Entrance

I have contemplated the concept of  monumental mosaics for 2 years.

In 2014 and 2015, I have given mosaic workshops that enabled me to experiment with techniques; in 2014 I participated to an International mosaic signs project coordinated from Germany by Caroline Jung.  These experiments demonstrate that :
  • Huge mosaics can be created by patching together numerous small pieces. 
  • A great number of people can easily be taught how to make these small mosaics.
Practically, beautiful monumental mosaics could be created by communities of people working together. 

Such project would belong to these communities. Each person who works at a common piece of Art feels they own it.

As a work of art, such project would add value to the community. As a community project, they would help reinforce the cohesion of this community: people who work and create together get to better know and appreciate each other. 

Through Art, we can help a number of young people realize that creativity is not just for Artists with a Capital "A" and that they too can be creative. I am confident that this will later translate in more creativity , not only in Art, but also in sciences, engineering or commerce...


It can be done... Let's do it !




I am a modern mosaic artist with a deep admiration for ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine Arts. I share my passion in my newsletter, as well as the work of other more modern mosaicists working with traditional or non-traditional media. I enjoy teaching about mosaics and believe Art can be a very powerful way to stabilize and reinforce the cohesion of communities. 

You can see my own mosaics on my site at mosaicblues  If you are interested by my ideas and my work or would like to drop me a line please contact me by email at frederic.lecut@gmail.com or by phone at (334) 798 1639. 

 
You can also




No comments:

Post a Comment