MosaicBlues: Mosaic and Haute Couture - Dolce & Gabana - I .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Friday, October 3, 2014

Mosaic and Haute Couture - Dolce & Gabana - I

I try in this blog to tell you about historical, aesthetical and technical aspects of actual mosaics, but "Une fois n'est pas coutume" like we say where I come from, today I want to address the question of the influence of ancient mosaics in modern art; more specifically in Haute Couture fashion art.


At the Fall 2013 Milan Fashion Week Dolce & Gabbana introduced a collection inspired by Italian Byzantine Mosaics.


King Solomon Dress

King Solomon mosaic, Duomo Monreale,  Sicily

D&G traveled to mosaic adorned churches across the Italy, mosty in Sicily : from the Cefalu Cathedral, the Palatine Chapel, La Martorana, and the Duomo Monreale. 


Blue Angel Dress


Blue Angel, Cefalu Cathedral, Sicily


These Byzantine style mosaics were created during the 12th century during the reigns of Sicilian Kings Roger II and William II.

History has a way to always repeat itself (I wish politicians would remember that); during the Renaissance, Italian painters were inspired by Roman Frescoes and Mosaics created 13 centuries before them.  In our 21st century, fashion designers are inspired by the work of artists who created 10 centuries before us. 

Next week, I will show and tell more about the sources for D&G collections, some much older than the 12th century ! 
 
I hope you enjoy this post. I am a mosaic artist, with great admiration for our Roman and Byzantine Art. I create modern mosaics often inspired by the ancient masters. You can visit my site at mosaicblues  If you are interested by my works, please contact me by email at frederic.lecut@gmail.com or by phone at (334) 798 1639.


You may also want to



In which I keep you informed of my work, techniques, history and archaeology of mosaics.

No comments:

Post a Comment