MosaicBlues: Evolution .entry-content { font-size:25px !important; }

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Evolution

Design evolves, Techniques evolves

When I laid the tesserae of my first pairs of mosaic eyes in 2011, I was inspired by a picture seen in a French photo magazine before 1992.



Was this the picture of a real Tuareg lady ? I don't know, the fabrics look really flashy and brand new, I doubt they spent any time beaten up by the desert sun and wind. But I had loved the combination of colors, the Green eyes, the Blue veil and Red scarf, and the warm ochre of the sandy background. 

This gave birth to Green Eyes




Green Eyes is made of porcelains, travertines, granites and glasses, and her dimensions are 13 x 25" (32 x 65 cm).

She flew to Dubai last December and I have heard that she has since moved to Pakistan.

The, last winter, a French friend of mine asked me if I could make for her a mosaic in the like of Green eyes !  So I went back to work. This time, I would use different, slightly richer materials.

I decided I would build two mosaics, mirror image of each other. One I would call Mariam's Eyes, and her twin sister, which I sometimes call Mariam Mesh, for she is built on a Fiber Glass Mesh (more about this later).

By the beginning of May, Mariam was ready to be framed.


You can see here how my technique has evolved. I am trying to render colors in a non traditional way - somehow in the same way a picture is printed.

By the end of May, Mariam's sister is ready to be flipped, although the process of her flipping will differ from the usual one.


Please remember that this is the back of Mariam Mesh, before it is glued to her support.  In the end, it will be the mirror image of Mariam, but you are now seeing her back which is why she looks so much like the above Mariam...


If you are interested in my Mariam mosaic - available in July - or would like to learn more about mosaic, please contact me by email at frederic.lecut@gmail.com, or by phone at (334) 798 1639. I have other mosaic eyes available, I take  commissions of mosaic eyes, and other mosaics. 

You can also 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment